Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

155 And a Wake Up..

When I got to boot camp back in August of 1991, the 1st thing you learned was that you have 89 days and a wake up before you were a U.S. Marine and free to be "the Few, The Proud, The Marines!". Hell. We all bought into the knighthood or we wouldn't have been there in the 1st place.


My point in telling you this is that from that moment on, time devolved into that backwards count of 75 and a wake up, 52 and a wake up, 21 and a wake up, then finally, you Wake Up!

You put on your polished leather shoes, your bright white gloves and cover, and all of the golden eagle, globe, and anchors and present your new form to the rest of the world. Those who really mean anything are there to experience your transformation from what you were to what you have become. That is what this is. Dramatic sounding ain't it? Problem is, my life have a been shaped and formed by catharsis:

1.the purging of the emotions or relieving of emotional tensions, esp. through certain kinds of art, as tragedy or music.
2.Medicine/Medical.
3.Psychiatry.
a.psychotherapy that encourages or permits the discharge of pent-up, socially unacceptable affects.
b.discharge of pent-up emotions so as to result in the alleviation of symptoms or the permanent relief of the condition.


(thanks to dictionary.com)

This is and isn't what I want to have happen at this event. I want release, that is for sure. I want to open up to possibilities, but I don't want to break myself down as I have in the past. That tends to be more destructive that productive. It's literally walking the razors edge when you come to it.

I mean, let's address our fears for a MOMENT. I'm not very young anymore and neither is my wife. We both wheeze a bit at too much exertion. We have both put on a few more pounds since we have met. There will be a LOT of YOUNG BUCKS AND DOES prancing around the desert with their ever present promise of the future, and youth fullness, and strength.

I'm friggin' 37 and my wife isn't too much younger! We have to define ourselves and search within souls to see what's really beneath the facade and work-a-day ritual that younger people have not yet bound themselves to heart and soul. I struggle with it every day. Putting on the mask to keep the reality everyone accepts real. To play the game of life till we are called back to accounts for how we played it. Were we nice to the other kids in this life? Did we seize opportunity or let the bad decisions weigh us down into a tar pit of self-doubt and pity? Creating what my wife believes is our own living hell. She literally believes that we are already IN hell and that it's our job to work our way out. How's that for deep!?

Anyhoo, I don't want to leave any loose ends on the mother topic I left off before Easter Holiday. A metropolis is a/the "mother city" or cities that define a culture , or an ideal (as was in Plato's case), or the birth of a new culture in a new area through the use of colonies in the ancient world. What does this mean to you? How can you express and define the mother cities of your culture? How can you express the themes that dominate your experiences with "metropolis"? Many questions to stew on. Speaking of stew, mine is on (in my head)....time to forge on into the next day.....laters and 155 and a wake up!! See you there!! Better yet, see me there!!!

No comments: